Mailing List

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1)Jhereg by Steven Brust
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

While there was nothing absolutely mind-blowing about the plot or the fantasy, the one thing that really stood out in this book was the fantastic writing.

It was absolutely some of the easiest reading I've had for an obviously detailed and fleshed out world full of lots of magic, interesting races, very long lived people, and dragons. It flew by so quickly and easily, I was rather surprised at how much info-dump never came across as info-dump. I learned so much about the world, naturally, that I was giddy after the reading.

Is it because I've grown very used to the tropes involved, over so many years of enjoying fantasy? Possibly. But then, that's another reason I need to give this book props. From the mid-eighties, it still comes off as hugely superior in execution, characterization, big ideas, and joy. This is SUPERIOR fantasy.

I've read my fair share of SUPERIOR fantasy, of course, but this one feels so effortless.

Assassins? Check. Dragons? Check. Near immortals everywhere you look? Check. Tons and tons of magic? Absolutely.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to fly through all Brust's novels in no time whatsoever. They're pretty damn fantastic and smart.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment