Mailing List

Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Little MenThe Little Men by Megan Abbott
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Girl Noir. I can't say I've ever read any before now, but who cares? I loved it. Megan Abbott's prose is so damn sharp that I can hear the hunting knife scratch on the inside of my kitchen wall from here.

What can I say? I love Penny. I feel empathy for her. I got sucked right in to the mystery and sucked right into her empathy for poor Larry. This was damn fine suspense, worthy of any of the best horror writing I've ever had the pleasure to read. You might say I rolled in it like a dog to shit on a grassy knoll.

Okay. Raise your hand if you're one of those crazy fans of Mulholland Drive. It's okay to admit it. I am one of those people. You remember that scene with the little people? The 'OMGWTH am I seeing, and why am I so fascinated with something I can't understand' kind of feeling?

Well, yeah. I got that here. I loved it. Almost magical realism. It skirts the edge without quite making the cut, and that's the whole point. The whole story is sharp.

I think I've found a new guilty pleasure. Moaar girl noir. ;)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment