Mailing List

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I think it's actually this book where I'm finally getting into the swing of things better, but perhaps that's just familiarity with the endless procession of characters. It helped when I finally broke down and got the help of a wiki. :)

On the other hand, I sure as hell never needed help loving Kruppe even from the first book and that sure as hell hasn't changed by the third. What a personality!

And of course there's a lot to love about Brood and Rake, both in story, history, and personal quirks, but Silverfox really does rather steal the show for me.

What I'm really most fascinated about are the gods. It's hard not to see them all as stealing the show from the normal folk, because, truly, we're surrounded by them in the story, whether they're the elder gods or the new gods, the tragic T'lan Imass, or the new NEW gods, they're all flashy and full of flavor in comparison to the poor mortals, alas. Or at least, they would be if they didn't keep getting taken down a notch or three and proving that certain mortals have a talent of surviving.

Or not. *sigh* No spoilers.

Honestly, I'm still enthralled by the Crippled God and all the discussions related to him. The poisoning of the warrens is damn interesting, too. :) I'm surrounded by big, big ideas and the scope is breathtaking. When we say immortals, we really mean immortals, people. What's a 100k years, anyway? This is nothing different from the first two, of course, but I'm still feeling the effects.

I love the little subversions and Silverfox's development and twisty bits, too.

I could keep going, after all, this is a really huge novel and so much happens, but suffice to say, nations fall, the fate of so many tortured souls and gods and everyone else is at stake. There's surprisingly less fighting in the text than I expected, filled with a ton of intrigue and people just trying to figure out what's going on, and I was just fine with that. It made for an interesting discovery novel. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment