Mailing List

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Burning MidnightBurning Midnight by Will McIntosh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This might be a real surprise hit that everyone is going to be talking about for a long time. Or perhaps it simply should be. :) I'm not generally a YA fan, but even so, I keep running into real gems lately. Or spheres. Lots and lots of ability-granting spheres for appreciating really good stories with fascinating characters and plots that are literally impossible to put down.

I read this and skipped dinner, for heaven's sake, even forgoing a potty break because this was just that good.

I was hooked from page one and I loved thinking about all the ramifications, the pure and unadulterated wish-factor, the treasure-hunting aspect of the adventure, and the twinge of revenge and hate for being screwed over so horribly. Not that this was about getting revenge. Nor was it really about romance, although there was a small bit of that, too. (And no, there weren't any love triangles and the only conflicts between Hunter and David were purely interpersonal and not coming from the outside at all. Let me tell you, that was a delight. :)

Adventure! Treasure Hunt! SF wish fulfillment! And there was even a really cool twist! I mean, come on, what wish comes without a monkey's paw, right? And my horror sensibilities were laughing out loud when the moment came, so beware, all you unsuspecting chumps of readers. You thought you'd get off easy? Muahahahaha...

Seriously though, the tension never lets up. I worried about so many different things, the novel never once felt monotonous. The pacing was excellent. And can I see this as one hell of a great movie? Oh yeah. There's even a gratuitous wish-fulfillment plug from the author for just that outcome right in the story. It was so blatant and funny and the whole story is just that good that I can do nothing but wish him all the luck in the world! :) I don't say that very often. I do mean it, here. :)

What a fun ride!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment