Mailing List

Friday, May 27, 2016

Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)Homeworld by Evan C. Currie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

By the midway point I was absolutely certain that I was loving this one best out of the three novels, but that was only because I appreciated the new direction it was taking, sliding easily between a cat and mouse tale, a good chase, and solid warfare tactics and strategy. I've said a lot about the good characterizations, and that remains and is possibly improved upon, here, but I can add another great feature to the series.

The world-building is only getting better. :) Sometimes I look forward to a good exposition. Isn't that odd? Well I do. I like to know how things work, whether it's the tech, the political situations, or anything else that has direct impact upon the tale. We've got a lot more of that in this one, and I'm immensely grateful for it. It rounds out all the ever-increasing action and characters in a very familiar and succinct way, building nicely upon the already heavily-embedded "natural" world-building.

But what about the second half?

Oh my. Guess who's homeworld the title refers to? Yup. Ours. And we're in for a mighty shitstorm. This is the kind of classic SF we're used to, of course, but the storytelling is quite modern and quite fun, and I have nothing but great things to say about the surprising and grand ways we make it through.

Even the last reveals seem quite natural because we've already had quite a bit of introduction to it in the way of Central. :)

Poor Odyssey. I do so wonder if she'll get reconditioned in time for book four? *sigh* :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment