Mailing List

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Odyssey One (Odyssey One, #1)Odyssey One by Evan C. Currie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Often, with me, Space Operas are hit or miss. There's either too much mindless action or too much mindless action or there's even too much mindless action.

But sometimes, fortunately, I get caught up with a crew of some really great characters. They get thrown in some interesting situations with plenty of translator humor, and then, suddenly, all my worries just seem to melt away.

If you're looking for some great pew-pew, vroom, and kaa-plowie action, this novel has it in spades and spades, and it's great fun, but none of that would be quite as fun or engaging without a great cast.

This has a great cast. :)

It's also the kind of thing I've always enjoyed about Star Trek. It's all about people who get thrown into situations that may or may not be out of their ken or abilities, but more often than not, it is the fundamental aspects of living and getting along that make them so damn real and a part of our lives. The ship breaks. There's plenty of miscommunication in and out of the hull. And best of all, it's the little heroisms that snag me. :)

Of course, if you want to be an explorer on the first interstellar spacecraft, meeting good and bad aliens and getting caught up in some really stellar action, I think you'll enjoy this novel, too. :) I mean, this is the DEFINITION of Space Opera. :)

Good clean fun... with or without court-martials. :)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment