Mailing List

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Hawk (Vlad Taltos, #14)Hawk by Steven Brust
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Fantastic!

This is the Vlad I know and love, right down to the horrendously complicated plot, the refusal to explain to us what is going to happen until it happens, and now, an actual return to business as usual.

What? He's found a way to return to his home town, make things good with the Jhereg, that long-lived race that does everything better than everyone else? I mean, sure, Vlad has been assassinating them for most of his life and even though they made him a Lord even though they despise puny humans, he eventually screwed over the entire race pretty heavily... I mean... just how could he make things right after THAT?

Well, he could always make them an offer they can't refuse. Right? Godfather style. :) Oh Vlad, you're one insane mother. At least he'll be done with running, either permanently or not, and I believe it is TIME. :) Well past time. Hell, I'm gonna dance for joy that he's back...

Sure, he can never make everyone happy, and by making good with the Right hand he just happened to piss off the entire Left, but really, just how bad could that be? I mean, it's just the whole damn guild of sorcerers. I ask, just how bad could that be???

Seriously, I love this series. Always clear writing, always wonderfully humorous voices, great action, great friends, great enemies, and tension like you wouldn't believe. This is pure classic fantasy done really, really right.

Now what else does Brust have? Nom nom nom. :)

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with your review. I've read this series twice since the release of Hawk and God knows how many times before that over the years. I can't stand the wait for the next book, especially since Vlad is (spoiler) finally done trying to appease his enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not alone in really enjoying these books. :) And I'm really looking forward to change in Vlad's behavior. :)

    ReplyDelete