Mailing List

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book slows down from the break-back pace from the previous novel, but for good reason, given the events that had just transpired.

Unfortunately, the stakes have also risen in a different direction, one that I happen to like, and the greatest threat of all looms on the horizon... Marriage. Oh! But don't worry, that doesn't happen in *this* book. You'd think that a love as strong as theirs would have plunged them into the abyss by now, but things keep happening... you know, armies of ghouls and genies, pack politics and the taking over of a certain Guild, multiple near-tragedies, and papas. Especially papas. Papas can be such a pain in the life.

I'm fine with this direction mostly because this books marks a brand new chapter in their lives, a new beginning, and a certain amount of growing up, too.

Oh, screw that. I doubt Kate or Curran will ever grow up. They're both honor-bound, strong-ego'd idiots. They both have great reasons to do all the things they do and they stick by them, unfortunately, its always a never-ending conflict between them. Will love win the day?

Well, perhaps. As long as they keep loving.

This series has been pretty good for the heart, and I think the romance has grown pretty damn robust in-between all the head-explosions, vampire-heisting, blood-armor, and giant-takedowns.

But even so, I still like book 7 better than this one. (And I'm saying that even though I loved the final action in this one and the amount of trust it took to accomplish it.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment