Mailing List

Friday, August 5, 2016

A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #3)A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh my lord, this series is kicking my ass.

I mean, sure, there's tons of truly hilarious events going on, just one after another, and I love it. Plus the time-travel simply plays second fiddle to the historical accuracy displayed, but here's the real kicker: the emotional impact.

It's always bad enough to see people die that you didn't know very well, and then this series keeps on throwing people we're beginning to love under the bus. And then. I mean, shit!

Fine, Troy burns. Women and children suffer. All amounts of grotesque horrors occur... but this? This?

And if that wasn't enough, the fact of time travel throws us for a loop, literally, and then we get an almost Whovian twist, but alas, it's a very St. Mary twist.

Do I make sense? Well, if not, then it's only because the novel has gotten under my skin and again I'm not quite certain whether I like that or not. It's one thing to shut down emotionally and it's quite another thing to open up again in the right situation, but the fact that it's all happening so naturally has it killing me. ; ; Good stuff. Right in the feels.

And if that wasn't enough, the books still makes me laugh. What a ride!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment