Mailing List

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Steal the Sky (The Scorched Continent, #1)Steal the Sky by Megan E. O'Keefe
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This new fantasy novel had me in a twitter before I sat down to read it. I expected a steampunk fantasy tome, and if I'm really honest with myself, I always *want* to like steampunk more than I ever truly do.

In fact, I almost pre-judged this one based on my lackluster experiences.

Good news! This is anything but lackluster! :) Now, I don't even know what I was worried about! We've got solid characters butting heads with each other across battle-lines of prejudice, class, and logic. We've got airships tightly tied to a complicated and well-thought-out magic system that is also part and parcel of the prejudice. We've got good adventure.

I'm absolutely going to be keeping my eye out for the rest of these books. I'm nothing if not very impressed by this debut. I especially loved how a few characters kept falling out of their comfort zones with catastrophic results.

This is what the genre needs to be revitalized, IMHO. :) Or better yet, to finally rise out of the fringe. :)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment